refreshing cucumber salsa recipe
Family Meal Planning, Recipes

Refreshing Cucumber Salsa Recipe

Spread the love
  • 6
  • 56

Refreshing Cucumber Salsa Recipe

It’s that time of year!! Garden produce, farmers markets, meaning cheaper produce but what do you do with it all? If you plant cucumbers or tomatoes you know some times the classic recipes can just get boring. And sometimes you have so many dang cucumbers you can’t possibly think about making more pickles! HAHA

So what do you do?

Sure you can give some away, and that will help lower your inventory, but finding a new staple recipe is the perfect way to use up some produce. The best part since it’s salsa the produce doesn’t have to be pretty and perfect!

The story behind this cucumber salsa recipe

So this cucumber salsa recipe was shared with me by my amazing aunt Delta (yeah my daughter and my aunt have same amazing name). My uncle was stationed in Guam for 8 long years and out of it came my adorable cousin Joy and this bomb refresging cucumber salsa recipe!

When they made it for us I was not familiar with cilantro but I fell in love!

I know some people can’t stand the taste of cilantro as they say it taste like soap…. that is so a thing! I feel so sorry for those people because it is so amazing!!! And this cucumber salsa is full of it!

I don’t want to be one of those bloggers who tells you their life story before sharing their amazing recipe, sorry no offense but I usually just scroll to the bottom if I am in a hurry. So I will share the goods with you!

refreshing cucumber salsa recipe
4.72 from 7 votes

Refreshing Cucumber Salsa

Amazing savory salsa recipe to use up that extra garden produce

Course Appetizer, Salad, Side Dish, Snack
Cuisine American, Mediterranean
Keyword Cucumber Salsa, Garden produce, Garden Salsa
Prep Time 1 hour

Ingredients

• 5 cucumbers
  • 5 roma tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes
  • 2 green peppers
  • 3 limes
  • 2 red onion
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • 1 container margarita salt

Instructions

1. Collect and wash all ingredients and relish in how incredible and fresh they look

refreshing cucumber salsa recipe
  2. There is no special order in which you need to cut add the ingredients, but I will share some images and the way I cut the veggies to be fast and efficient. First is those amazing green peppers. I cut around the stem and seed and slice strips as you would with stir fry and then cube them after that.

3. Tomatoes!!!! So I prefer roma tomatoes when it comes to chunky salsa because they have less seeds, but any kind of tomato can be used just take in to account the size of tomato. This is a cucumber salsa, not a tomato based. I slice the tomatoes, think burger slices, and then cube them to the same size as the green peppers.

4. Purple onions are such an amazing color pop in any fresh dish and they add just enough bite. I have a fast way to slice these tear jerkers (see pictures below recipe)

5. The main event, cucumbers! Peel these beauties and get cutting! These are hard to cut in a quick manor and are the most time consuming in the salsa making, but it is so worth it! I will share all the pictures for the way I cut these below too.

6. Now for the fun part the limes, cilantro, and salt are all to taste! Everyone has a different way they like it and the size of all the other ingredients are going to change how much you need. I usually only need the juice from 3 limes, half a bunch of cilantro (we grow ours so I use even less than that), and about 2 Tbs of margarita salt. Yes it must be margarita salt!!!!

Recipe Notes

The red onions (well any onions) can be hard to cut but if you cut your onions in to 4th then slice horizontally up the onion with out cutting all the way through.

Then slice vertically across the onion again not cutting all the way through.

Then slice as you normally would and then magically you have nicely diced onions! Continue the same process till all 4 parts are finished!

Now the cucumbers! Peel and slice long ways in to 1/4 inch strips. Note: if cucumber has a lot of seeds I remove some so the salsa is not full of seeds.

Now turn and slice longways again until you have long strips. And then dice and continue with remaining cucumbers.

This recipe is easy to adjust for smaller amounts as this recipe makes a party size! For a smaller amount I do equal number to cucumbers and tomatoes, cut down to one green pepper, and 1 onion, then lime juice, salt, and cilantro to taste.

This refreshing cucumber salsa is amazing with chips, and well anything.

• On hot dogs and brats
  • On a hamburger
  • On chicken breast
  • On tacos (pico replacement)
  • On salads
  • On brown rice
  • With a spoon (seriously it's that good)

I know some people don't like cilantro and you can still make this salsa without it. My family uses lemon juice and they add corn to it! Also adding a little mint can tame the cilantro.

This post contains affiliate links which means with your purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.

Now you can use a food processor for a finer chop, and it is fine. But this cucumber salsa is much better chunky. If you are looking for a food processor this one is my best friend! Especially for that fresh herb pesto! And did you know that Target has refurbished food processors at an incredible discount!

This refreshing cucumber salsa recipe will help use your garden produce and make you the talk of any summer party! It is so cool are refreshing I wish I could eat it every day! And don’t forget to involve your child in the cooking process it is so important and they just might surprise you with eating some veggies. Both of my girls loooovvvveee this cucumber salsa.

Please let me know if you loved it as much as we do!!!

You may also like...

40 Comments

1. I love how colorful the salsa looks. I can’t wait to give it a try!!

1. becomingschultz says:

Thanks, it really is amazing! So refreshing and crisp.

2. I’ll have to share this with my mom she would love this!!

1. becomingschultz says:

Please do, it really is delicious! I hope she loves it as much as we all do.

3. Pinned it 😊 Can’t wait to try it!

4. joi says:

MMm sounds refreshing indeed! Perfect for this heatwave hitting LA at the moment. Thanks for sharing!

Xo, Joi | https://Joi-knows-how.com

1. becomingschultz says:

We just had a heat wave here in Illinois and my girls ate cucumber salsa every day lol! They enjoyed it so much I thought about freezing it for popsicles HAHA

5. I love everything in this recipe so I can only imagine how great it will taste all together! I can’t wait to bring this the next time I have a get together with friends!

1. becomingschultz says:

The combination is perfect and so easy to adjust to your own taste preference.

6. Mirlene says:

Bright colors are the way to go! The salad surely looks refreshing. Interested in trying it soon, definitely!

1. becomingschultz says:

The more colorful the better! Let me know if you enjoy it as much as we do.

7. This is Really Good recipe! Very healthy I Will do your recipe I Love veggies! Thanks for sharing!

1. becomingschultz says:

It is so healthy and goes perfectly with anything.

8. Ooooh yes! This looks so yummy and is perfect for our CA veggies! I’m definitely gonna try it!

1. becomingschultz says:

OH it most definitely is perfect. Let me know if you like it!

9. Karla says:

Wow! Love this recipe! It’s perfect for a cucumber lover like me!

It is incredible!

10. Yum! What a great summer recipe – I’m always looking for new uses for cucumber

11. This looks so refreshing, like a spa treatment for the inside of our bodies. I have a ton of tomatoes to harvest and this would be a nice way to change up my salsa recipe.

1. becomingschultz says:

I laughed a little too hard at the “spa treatment for the insides of our bodies.” Bu it really is incredible.

12. Ariel says:

Will definitely be saving for future use!

13. This looks delicious – colourful and refreshing!! I feel sorry for the soapy cilantro people too! 🙂

1. becomingschultz says:

Right, I couldn’t imagine not loving cilantro! We put it on everything and my 2 year old picks it and eats it straight from the garden lol

14. I love this! I need to make this, my hubby loves salsa and this looks really refreshing!

15. My little girl loves cucumber so this will be a great way to mix it up abit rather than just having it plain.

16. My little girl loves cucumber so this will be a great way to mix it up abit rather than just having it plain.

17. This sounds amazing! I love a good salsa and I am with you, cilantro is the bomb! Will have to try this, specially as my son loves cucumbers.

18. I’m not a cilantro fan! But this looks great!

19. This looks so yummy and healthy! Will have to add it to my recipes and try it!

20. This sounds divine and so refreshing on a hot summer day!

21. Veronika says:

Look delicious. Salsa is one of those things that taste way better fresh than store bought.

22. Very well put. I’m definitely trying and sharing to a friend of mine who loves salsa!

23. I love all of the fresh veggies. What size is the Margarita salt container?

1. becomingschultz says:

The size doesn’t matter I usually use only a tablespoon maybe 2! Of course this will vary depending on your produce and how salty you like your salsa.

24. I love homemade salsa! It looks amazing and it’s perfect for me because it is also low carb.

1. becomingschultz says:

Yes it is and it goes so well with other food than just chips!

25. This looks so refreshing and delish! Thanks for sharing!

26. This looks really yummy! Thank you for sharing! I have a garden with cucumbers and we are getting a lot, I will have to try this!

27. Marjie Mare says:

Cucumber is one veggie that both of my daughters love, I will make this salad.

1. becomingschultz says:

I hope they love it as much as we do