Book Project Series, Parenting

Pre-K and Toddler Homeschooling Reading Curriculum

Spread the love
  • 7
  • 101

I don’t know about your child, but mine was far from interested in reading so we she shows interest in a book I knew I had to dive in. I want her to love books and reading so I decided to start a book series project.

This post contains affiliate links which means with your purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.

Pre-K and Toddler Homeschooling Reading Curriculum

Homeschooling can be so intimidating but it doesn't need to be. Even if you plan on sending your children to school early learning is important and a perfect time for some family fun. This week we used a Tractor Mac book as our homeschooling curriculum for the week. toddler homeschooling curriculum, pre-k learning, reading with children

How to start Homeschooling a toddler?

Don’t call in school! My 3 year old has no issues with tell me she doesn’t want to go to school. I don’t even tell her we are going to learn something new, we just do it! Teaching a toddler new things can be so easy because they are still soaking up everything around them.

Just playing with something new or hearing a new book causes them to learn whether they like it or not. It is our job to encourage that learning by knowing what kind of activities our kids like. Some enjoy crafts, some would rather sensory input, and some just need to burn off energy but all ways can encourage learning.

Related Post: Fall Sensory Bins for Toddlers

Starting a Homeschooling Reading Curriculum

• Pick a book; could be one you have or find one at the library
  • Read the book everyday
  • Do some crafts related to the book; color pages, cooking
  • Talk about our favorite things in the book
  • And anything else that sounds fun to do in relation to the book!

Tractor Mac

Adella is in love with Tractor Mac if you haven’t heard of Tractor Mac it is an amazing book series about a tractor. It starts with him coming to the farm and they have some adorable stories. Adella knows all the tractor parts and loves talking about all of his stories.

So the book she picked to start our book project this week was Tractor Mac Farmers Market. This was perfect since the farmers markets just opened up here! I don’t know about you, but I love fresh produce!!! We garden but we don’t use a green house so of course we don’t have produce this early, and that is where the farmers market comes in. Did you know there is a site you can use to search for local farmers markets? Check it out they have some great events listed and fun kid activities too!

There was mostly baked goods, and plants at the farmers market this week but we did pick up some yummy strawberries! She has been enjoying them and keeps talking about the farmers market! I’m so excited to go every weekend!

Toddler Activities

So in the Tractor Mac Farmers Market book there are some amazing recipes and nutritional facts. The first time we read it she said “oooooh muffins” in that moment I knew we were going to be baking some. If you haven’t read our recent blog post yet we love to bake!!!

Naturally we didn’t have blueberries so off to the store we went. We got busy and it took two extra days to finally get to making those dang muffins! Adella had so much fun opening the butter, measuring, mixing, smelling everything, and buttering our muffin pan.

I just love how much she is into baking! She refused to color because she wanted to go outside, and that was fine we needed to work on the garden anyways. So this week all we did was read Tractor Mac Farmers Market daily usually 3 or 4 times a day, go to a farmers market, and bake a recipe from the book!

Sign up for first glimpse at the book project, including printables and ideas for implementing your own toddler homeschooling.

Other Toddler Activities

Since this is a week long reading curriculum I am going to add other options for your family. Of course you can do a different book and just do similar activities or simply use this as a way to get some ideas to start early learning with your toddler.

Energy burning toddler activities

• pretend to be a tractor
  • moo and crawl like cows
  • plant a blueberry bush having your toddler help dig

Toddler crafts

• paint a tractor
  • uses an apple or other produce item as a stamp
  • use different colors to make your own farmers market

Family activities

• go to a farmers market
  • bake something
  • make dinner using food from the farmers market

I can not wait to see what book she picks next week for our next week of toddler homeschooling.  Are you interested in starting homeschooling your toddler of?

Be sure to check out next weeks homeschooling reading curriculum

You may also like...

30 Comments

1. huda says:

Brilliant idea Toni! It was also hard for my son to be interested n booking up a book to read instead of playing. I’m going to try out the book project series. Thanks for the tips.

1. becomingschultz says:

My daughter is just now into reading and most days I still struggle to get her to sit long enough for a book, but sometimes if I let her “read” it to me she is a bit more interested in it!

2. This is an amazing idea. I have a 7 yr old who is not the best reader but does get into a book every now and than. Thankyou for thos post.

1. becomingschultz says:

My daughter just recently showed interested in books and I just let her pick the book for this week and she is pretty excited about it. I hope that by diving into a book she enjoys the love for reading will grow.

3. I love this idea and will do this with my son when he is a bit older as at the minute he thinks books are just for chewing!!

1. becomingschultz says:

My youngest is the same way, that and ripping out pages! HAHA She does like the pictures though!

4. This is such a great idea! I’m definitely going to be doing this with my two boys. We just had a Dragons Love Tacos/Dragons Love Tacos 2 birthday party, and you could totally use some of the activities we did for/at the party for this. 1. You could make tacos for dinner – the book is one of the main reasons my boys ever even tried tacos :). 2. You could decorate taco cookies or taco cupcakes – there are a ton of ideas for those on Pinterest. 3. You could make “taco cave” bags (like taco bell, only for dragons!). My blog has a post about our birthday party if you would like to check it out – https://raisingboyswithbooks.com/2018/05/28/lets-taco-bout-a-party-a-dragons-love-tacos-party/ – Thanks again for the idea!!

1. becomingschultz says:

Oh my goodness, this sounds amazing! I will check it out. My daughter won’t try tacos even deconstructed. I got her to eat tortillas so I guess that is a win! HAHA So maybe this will help her!

5. This is a lovely idea. My 3 yo loves trying to read and often acts out whatever I read to him then creates a playtime around it. Whatever Next is a great book for this. All he needs is a box for a rocket and a few other items

1. becomingschultz says:

I haven’t heard of that book, I’m going to have to check it out! I can’t wait for more pretend play from my 2 year old!

6. I think this is a wonderful idea! When Cat (21) was young, we read a book about a rainbow garden, and decided to grow our own rainbow garden (with yellow beets, striped tomatoes, and “magic beans” that grew purple but turned green when cooked).

1. becomingschultz says:

OH that sounds so much fun!

7. I love the idea of doing a real-life activity in relation to a book you’re reading! So fun! My toddler is super into the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Williams. A trip to the zoo to look for the elephants and pigs would go along with that book nicely!

1. becomingschultz says:

I wish our zoo had elephants, and we love to see our neighbors pigs!!! Another book I haven’t heard of!

8. I love this! When I was a teacher before staying at home we called these theme units. Picking a book and then doing everything you could with it while reading it on a daily basis. Such an educational experience!

1. becomingschultz says:

I will be searching theme units for some ideas, thank you!!! It is the only way my daughter is into books.

9. This is an excellent idea…I’m going to do this with my younger girls! Thx fur the wonderful inspiration.

1. becomingschultz says:

I’m so glad I was able to inspire you!

10. Daisy says:

Aww I absolutely love your idea of doing a book series!!! I’m going to take my little boy to the library tomorrow so we can do this!

1. becomingschultz says:

Aw yay! I hope you guys love it as much as we do!

11. Hi, such a lovely post, I will try this with my kids.

12. Lexi says:

This is amazing! This is the perfect way to get your little one to completely connect to the stories they’re reading. I can’t wait to see what crafts you do!

1. becomingschultz says:

Yes, I am hopefully this connection will spark an interest in some more books!!!

13. This is such a great idea! My oldest loves reading, would be so fun for him to do during the summer.

1. becomingschultz says:

It would be a great way to keep learning all summer long.

14. This is a great way of learning. Picking a book a book and do activities based on the theme. This really makes interest. Your daughter I think already choose what she wanted to be in future – A Baker!!!

1. becomingschultz says:

She is loving it, and she does love to bake! Thankfully she likes to help with the dishes too or I’d be in trouble!

15. kayla sheehan says:

Thanks for sharing! This is such a great idea and something i will definitely be starting with my boys.

1. becomingschultz says:

Of course we are having so much fun with it and I don’t feel overwhelmed! I know they are learning and that is important!