Our Adventures, Parenting, SAHM

My House is Messy and I’m a Stay at Home Mom

Spread the love
  • 5
  • 44

I’ve heard that there are people who like to clean and their house is clean! I have even met them, but I am not one of them! I mean is it nice to have a clean house, hell yes! But I just can’t do it!

I would rather sit and play with the kids, or get out of the house then fold laundry or wash dishes! Or its the clean when they sleep, but I snuggle the baby and go to bed when they do so that is out of the question! I try to involve the toddler in the cleaning as much as possible but she would just rather play in the water or go outside since the weather is nice, and well guess what so would I!

When we have company we quick clean! AKA shove everything in the bedroom and do what we can to make it look decent! I am an avid believer in we live here and so do two kids so guess what my floor will be messing, and toys will be every where. If it bugs someone they can clean it!

Just because you are a stay at home mom doesn't mean your house has to be spotless. As a sahm your job is to care for your children and if that means taking a day off from washing dishes and folding laundry then you should do that and not feel bad about it at all. The best mom advice I ever got was the dishes will always be there and you will never look back and wish you would have washed dishes

This post contains affiliate links which means with your purchase I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.

My House is a Mess and I’m a Stay at Home Mom

I have been home for 3 years now and at first not being able to have everything done stressed me out. I would be so worried about what Luke would think when he got home and I didn’t want him to be mad or disappointed. He was amazing and would tell me I did the most important thing, I took care of our baby. It took me months to realize he was right! Raising her was the most important thing, and the house work would always be there!

Then came Delta and I was so busy that the house work really took a back burner. I could cook, but the kitchen would be a mess or I could wash laundry, but not fold it. It’s been almost a year of having two kids and it hasn’t got any better! My house is a disaster! There is clean laundry in like 4 different baskets, but hey it’s clean!

That’s more then I can say for myself! I’m excited if I can get a shower twice a week and Adella is always in it with me. Luke one day kissed my head before heading to work and said “you’re hair is so pretty” I said “yeah it’s called clean” I was serious and a little sad about it.

Being a Good Mom Doesn’t Mean Your House is Spotless

I can say no matter how terrible of a housekeeper I am, I’m a damn good mom and to me and Luke that is what matters most. The kids won’t remember the sink of dishes I forgot to wash or that I dug their clothes for the day out of a laundry basket, but they will remember playing in buckets of water all morning or running through the sprinkler instead of taking a bath (yeah I’ve done both of those)!

This was why she took a sprinkler       bath

I love playing with the kids and exploring new things much more then I feel the need to clean anything! Thankfully Luke agrees the family makes the mess the cleans the mess and he has no issues with helping with the house work. He tends to speed clean if the kids and I go some where because it is so much easier to clean without the kids around!

I will say my house is by no mean gross, it is just cluttered and lived in! I run the dishwasher every day and the laundry but I don’t spend hours cleaning or stress over everything being perfect. And let me tell you it was like a weight lifted when I realized my house doesn’t need to be perfect for me to be a good mom. It was freeing and let me be a better more involved mom to my girls!

It’s Saturday morning and Luke is mowing, Delta is napping and Adella is watching a movie waiting to help daddy mow. My house isn’t clean and I’ve been sick. I don’t plan on cleaning it up any time soon either! HAHA

I will share I have found that being organized does help me stay on top of things so they don’t get totally out of control and this is how I do it. This home organizer helps me keep everything in order and not all scrambled in my head!

It took me a long to be okay with my house being a mess, but sometimes you just gotta lower those expectations!!!

I believe sharing with other moms that my house isn’t perfect and that it doesn’t have to be can be a relief! So share below, what in your house isn’t perfect?

Need a little help clearing the clutter in your house? Join me in my 30 Days to Declutter Challenge

You may also like...

17 Comments

1. Lauren says:

I understand completely the challenges of keeping a clean house with kids! Mine is a cluttered mess 95 percent of the time! We clean after kids go to bed occasionally, but are usually too tired. If you can hire someone every so often to help. We often “clean for the cleaning lady.” Lol!

1. becomingschultz says:

Unfortunately, we can’t afford to have a housekeeper come in our home. I do however remember helping my grandma clean before the housekeeper came to her house haha

2. You know i am a stay at home mom and I felt like this all the time but I’m really glad I stumbled across this post because I realize that we’re just human and we can’t possibly do EVERYTHING when we need it to be done. Thanks for this!!

1. becomingschultz says:

That’s just it, we can’t do it all. We want to and society makes us feel like we should be perfect especially since we are home all day. The simple truth is we have to do what we can and still ensure our own happiness.

3. Nikki G- lifelovelychaos.com says:

I always remind myself that one day my house will be in order, but for now the biggest memories to be made are the ones being made with my beauties.

1. becomingschultz says:

Yes, you are exactly right. One day I will have time to clean but for now I’ll enjoy our crazy mess.

4. Thank you for sharing this. I currently have a couch full of clean clothes that need folding. 😩. But my 3 boys are happy anf healthy. That’s more important than neat folded laundry. ❤️

1. becomingschultz says:

Of course. I think I have like a bed full of clothes that so need to be folded, baby clothes that need to be put in the basement, but it’s nice and hot outside so we are either playing or relaxing and cooling off.

5. It’s so tough trying to keep up with everything isn’t it? It can really get me frustrated too even though I’ve been a stay at home mum for 16 years. It has got better since they were babies and I am more organised but the house is still never perfect. #itsok

1. becomingschultz says:

It sure is!

6. Spot on! You need to be a mother first and then everything else. The dishes and laundry will greet you everyday, but your kids will not stay small for long. It takes a huge weight off our shoulders once we lower our own expectations. At the end of the day, a happy mum is a great mum!!! Thanks for linking this up with the #itsok linky.

7. We can afford help in South Africa and my house is also lived in. I’m of the belief that the kids need to feel comfortable and love being in their home. When kids come into our lives our standards just change it also took me a while to accept that #itsok

1. becomingschultz says:

Exactly! We clean up toys after we play, and I clean up as we go but my floors haven’t been swept yet today, and my dishes aren’t done. And hey it’s okay

8. It’s perfectly acceptable that your house is a mess even though you are a stay at home mom. Looking after kids is hard work on it’s own. They need your attention and energy more. #itsok

1. becomingschultz says:

yes! It has taken time to realize they take more energy

9. Well, my house is a bombsite too, but if I tried to keep up with the chaos I would never stop! I’d rather have a bit of quality time with my kids (or the couch, for that matter) than stress out over keeping things spic and span. Thanks for linking up with #ItsOK lovely xx

1. becomingschultz says:

Girl I need my couch lounge time or I go a little nuts! Just some breathing room and if that means my dishes wait, or I have to wash the same load of laundry again then so be it! lol